12 Car Insurance Discounts
Fluctuating gas prices, maintenance costs and state fees; these are just a few of the factors that can drive up the costs of owning a car. While securing discounts in these areas may be nearly impossible, a little bit of research may allow you to save hundreds of dollars a year on your car insurance. Keep reading to discover some lesser-known discounts that may be available to you.
- Multiple Policies. Does your insurance company offer other types of insurance? Talk to a representative about bundling your car insurance with other policies, such as home insurance or renter’s insurance.
- Multi-vehicle. In addition to rewarding customers with multiple policies, your insurance company may offer an incentive for insuring multiple vehicles through them.
- “Green” Vehicle. If you drive an alternative-fuel or hybrid vehicle, you may be eligible for this discount.
- Low Mileage. While it is estimated that the average driver puts around 12,000 miles per year on their vehicle, you may drive significantly less. Most insurance companies offer a low mileage discount, though you may be required to provide monthly proof of your driving habits through electronic monitoring.
- Military. Policy holders who are active members of the armed forces, as well as their family members, may qualify for a military discount.
- Occupational. Members of some unions, or professionals working for specified companies or in certain industries, may qualify for an occupational auto insurance discount.
- Good Student. Many car insurance companies offer an incentive for high school and college students who maintain a B average or higher in their studies.
- Distant Student. Does your policy cover a young student who attends school far from home? If so, you may be eligible for the distant student discount.
- Safe Driver. Safe drivers are less likely to be in an accident, and are less likely to require a payout from their insurance company. To provide an incentive for safe driving habits, many car insurance companies pass on their own savings by offering a safe driver discount to policy holders who have a clean driving record.
- Paperless Billing. In addition to being environmentally responsible, paperless billing saves money for your auto insurance company. Once again, some companies may pass on these savings by offering a discount to their policy holders.
- Full Payment. Almost all car insurance companies offer a discount for paying your entire premium upfront. Consider taking advantage of this discount, and enjoy significant savings on your car insurance.
- Defensive Driver. If you have taken a defensive driving course, you may be eligible for the defensive driver discount. Note that some insurance companies only offer this discount to senior drivers, so be sure to talk to a representative before enrolling in a defensive driving class.
While many expenses of owning a car offer little room for negotiation, knowing the right questions to ask may result in significant savings on car insurance.